Monday, September 16, 2013

Fixing a bench work problem

Having 3 decks is it's own challenge. When I built the decks they were tradition L-girder. I added 2x2 legs on front L-girder and supported back by lag bolting into studs. Over the last 18 months I started noticing issues. As work on Idaho Springs began those issues had to be addressed.

Talked to folks on several solutions from shelf brackets to longer wood legs. Each seemed to have issues. The legs were too distracting and hard to hide. The shelves had to support a 2' wide bench work and most had angle supports which would be distracting (in my mind) to the background.

Solution - Threaded rod. First idea was to go from floor through all 3 decks. This did not work as friends told me the 1/2" rod would bend. However, by securing to roof, hanging down it would hold the weight. So after planning and a trip to the local hardware/lumber store my son and I get started.

Sorry pictures with Iphone.

First step was installing a 2x8 across several rafters to spread weight out. Lag bolts gave it plenty of grip. Threaded rod inserted in hole with washer and 2 nuts behind wood support. Additional washer and nut in front of wood to secure.

Bolts through 2x4 on edge. Nuts and washers attached. Use same approach for both deck 2 & 3. Deck one uses legs to floor.

Wide view of span.

Shows rod and the old wood leg. I have 3 ways to hide rod: Tree, smokestack, or in mountain side. Will chose based on need and surrounding scenery. Not using washer and 2 nuts to lock into position to prevent loosening over time.

adjusting is a simple wrench turn and it is very precise. Here show a spot on level back to front. Sag also eliminated.

There are many solutions and this is what worked for me. I'm sure there are many others that might work better for you. All and all very pleased with result. Will duplicate it on the Black Hawk Side.

Will be testing for any 2x4 sagging. If an issue I can add either metal l beam to 2x4 or OSB strip as a laminate.

Thanks Cameron

Monday, September 9, 2013

Sunday 9-9-2013 Update - Idaho Springs

Moving into Idaho Springs now. Having to reinforce L-girder with angle iron and threaded rod.

New removable mountain, sculpt-a-mold in place. Will decide about rock castings then color.

Argo Tunnel bin mock-up and expanded creek bed. Trying some grass mat, not sue I like it. Will have to camouflage joint with static grass or dirt.

Creek entering Idaho Springs with coal dealer spur.

Got to work on angle iron and grade some more next.

Thanks Cameron

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Update 09-03-2013

Update 09-03-2013

Spent most of my time on a new creek bed and building foreground mountains upgrade from Forks Creek towards Idaho Springs.

The mountain area is in 2 parts, one stationary, the other removable to maintenance.

First another 3-4 ft of Creek. This is in front of where Argo Mill and mine will be. There was a park across river in foreground so working with some static grass. Need some other colours to mix in so working real slow. Have old Noch static applicator, they have new more powerful one I'd like to try.

Location where removable mountain will go.

Small removable mountain compared to previous. Made on Blackboard with cardboard webbing (use precut from Micro-Mark) with plaster cloth added. Will add Sculpt-a-mold then rock castings.

Here is the in-progress mountain placed on layout to test fit. This is wider than real area on Clear Creek but had to make some compromise to allow reaching turn-out and trains for maintenance or derailments.

Guess that is about it for progress so far this week.

Thanks Cameron

Monday, September 2, 2013

Update 09-02-2013

Update 09-02-2013

Focused on the removable mountain part of the Forks Creek Scene. The lights were washing out the removable mountains colors and it was simply too bare.

Scene about done. Coal bunker is temporary need to lower sides. Trees on Mountain really help and the seam were you can remove is now camouflaged pretty well.

Trees are improved Bachmann, Supertrees, and Timber Line Scenery (got a good deal on e-bay).

Close up. Redid telegraph poles using Rix plastic cross arms painted. I think these are better then the metal ones before.

Another angle made while working on upgrade removable mountain. Not happy with water flow below trestle, will have to redo and try again.

Wider shot from the same angle as above.

That's it for today. Will post progress on the upgrade removable mountain tomorrow.

Thanks for looking