Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Tuesday Dec 24th update

Boy I'm getting slack posting. Lots of indoor projects with one new section of layout getting some attention.

First shot, I am working on another book and some magazine articles. Lighting was causing some issues so I had a choice of going photo box or umbrellas. Ended up trying umbrellas as the kit had 3 nice stands and 3 strong fluorescent photofloods. Remaining shots taken with to of these so results can be seen. Went from 1/4 second to 1/120 second with same f-stop so pretty happy with result and not a lot of heat to contend with.

Next began testing out the Pricom dream player pro. Right now until 31st Dec they are offering 20% off all orders. This unit is a big step up from mp3 players I was using. Fully programmable with multi-track simultaneous play, triggers for input so what is going on on the layout can play specific sounds (example an optical sensor can detect trolley and ring bell, when trolley pulls away, bell stops). It also has outputs so it can make something on the layout perform an action.

Friend over on Narrow gauge Chat made me some spacers for 24"-21" and 21"-18" radius curved turn-outs. They are spot-on and really nice. Use FastTrack jig to position top rail, then solder on pcb ties. Then take out of jig, place the new wood spacer in place and build the remainder of the turnout. Nice smooth curves.

Next project is building a HON2 shay to use on the Gilpin portion of the layout. Shell shown is a HOn30 from Shapeways 3D Printing. The grain is very fine and I think it will finish well, may need some sanding. Idea is to use a z scale flea motor to power rear, or front and rear trucks.

This project needs to be used to test acceptable grade as the section behind the curve outside Idaho Springs is where part of the switch-back to mines around Central City will go. Need to rough in switch-back before I can completed the curve and mainline to Georgetown.

Close-up of shay shell.

Last but not least, re-motoring and adding DCC to 2 PFM brass loco's. Both are tender drive and seem to roll well. Trying both a 750 Tsunami and a WOW 101 on the 2-8-0. It will also have c=sound. The 2-6-0 in very tight. May have to use a digitrax decoders without sound on it, or see if maybe a Zimo sound might fit. Have the "sugar" cube speakers from several companies so I think I could fit it in.

Family out of town so tomorrow hopefully can get some more done.

Thanks Cameron

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday Update Dec 15th 2013

Sunday Update Dec 15th 2013

Son and I installed the last adjustable support Sunday afternoon (went to see Hobbit 2 in morning, great flick).

Used the 2x8 spanning between walls (11' 6"). Bolted in a 2x4 with holes drilled thorough the 4" side. Used threaded rod (1/2") through blackboard and plywood sub-roadbed into another 2x4 10'. Spaces rods 3 feet from each side leaving a 5' 6" span between.

The rod is secured with fender washer and double nuts. It is strong and adjustments easy and very precise. Able to control grade to the .02% range.

Now waiting on NN3 motorized wheels to test grade and pulling ability. Once verified switch-back will be roughed in and then we can get back to laying track in Idaho Springs.

Anyone got any good pictures of the Ore Sampling structures in Idaho Springs, please let me know. Going to use the stack on that to hide one support rod.

Thanks Cameron

Monday, December 9, 2013

Update 12-8-2013

Still working, just little to post.

Thought I'd do a quick update on some work-bench projects supporting layout build.

LaBelle kit Gondola about 50% done. Using the kit to help with scratch build efforts. Interesting note, all but about 85 Gondola's had 4 boards, only the very first series has 3. Based on research, if someone has more please let me know.

2nd scratch-built coal-car (Gondola), this is a Phase 2 with 4 boards. Using scale 6x6 for posts. want to put nbw in 2 per horizontal board. Since this is for AP program trying to figure a way to make NBW's instead of buying. Ideas?

This is the first coal car test build. Ended up too wide so it will be recycled for something else. Wanted to show underside and bolsters.

Been comparing new Sergents Sharon couplers with current EN's I have been using. Sharon on left is smaller and looks much closer to the tower coupler used on a lot of C&S equipment. Sharon is colored using neo-lube which is a graphite coating in alcohol that when dry leaves a smooth operating coupler with nice coloring.

This is a test wall for one of the 2 coal houses in Idaho Springs. It is roughly modeled after Crystal Rivers excellent coal house with both sizing and support modifications to better represent the Idaho Springs pictures I have.

So still plugging away. Cold and rainy in HotAlanta.

Thanks Cameron

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Clearing up confusion

Sorry it is confusing. Including a track plot (crude) showing what is going on.

The right upper is begins at 53" and over 22' climbs to 59". The section in the drawing is going from about 56" to 59 1/2".

I used cookie cutter not cut-outs as it works better from most of the layout. The curve on the left is fairly flat to reduce the combined curve, grade apparent grade. There is a lift-out that then spans 4' to Georgetown at 61". It is straight so grade works out to just a tad over 3%.

One complication is the switchback to extreme left which is behind the curve and separated by a backdrop. Having to work on the switchback to get it roughed in before I can finish curve.

Hope that explains better.

The 1/2" extra layer of blackboard was placed under curve extending to Stanley Mill, then grade drops that 1/2" to the singe layer rest of layout. This was done to give creek enough depth without cutting plywood.

Thanks Cameron